February 15, 2010

Perspective from an Outside Insider


Sometimes the moments of greatest clarity of one’s personal identity hide in the most seemingly mundane of circumstances. I take pride in the knowledge that once I have completed my studies at Columbia I will return ‘home’ and use my quarter of a million dollar education on improving the development of the nation in some capacity. A goal that a Kenyan friend cynically retorted “is everyone’s plan”.

Last semester I found myself spending weeks piecing together the fragmented bits of information available to me on the history of medicine in West Africa. Afterwards I walked with the self-confident strut of someone who had “figured it out”. To give the spark notes version of my findings, I had discovered that the British and many other imperialists introduced allopathic medicine merely as a tool of colonialisation. By challenging our traditional ways of medicine they sought to convince us of our encompassing inferiority and convince us of our need for imperialist governance. They succeeded in creating dual, competing systems of medical care that not only represent secular versus religious interpretation of illness but for some represented a political act of cultural affirmation.

The controversies upon which our two healthcare systems were introduced to one another shed much light upon the current failures of both the traditional and allopathic medicinal fields to adequately serve the needs of the Ghanaian population. It unveiled why so many Ghanaian babies die so soon after birth. Before the sacred eight day where, like their ancestors before them, they would have tasted the nsa (spirits) and nsu (water) that would have initiated them into our community. However, it only took five minutes of being an interviewee for a friend’s senior thesis project to make me ask myself what it was that I had really discovered.

The interview was simple. Just a few routine questions on how I prevented illness and treated myself when I was sick. It was in that moment that it struck me that in my course of historicizing the problem with healthcare in Ghana I never bothered to question how I was affected by the historical legacy. How was it that I could so completely and obliviously remove myself from the issue? In my countless hours pent preening over my computer screen while injecting key words into CLIO and praying for a ‘hit’ not once did I look inward. Not once did I ask ‘Where do I fit in and how does the historical legacy of the issue influence me?’

Perhaps my friend was right to voice her cynicism at my plans of return. Perhaps there is something about living here that allows us to unconsciously ‘other’ our own people in a way we may not realize. That allows us to differentiate between ‘them’ and ‘us’ and hinders our actual understanding of our culture. At least when an ostensible outsider is looking in to make policy reforms we are conscious of the limitations on his perspective. What are the implications of our ‘intended’ return if we do unconsciously inhabit these biases? Leave your perspectives on this issue below.

2 comments:

  1. Perfectly writing, with a great meaning behind every sentence. Well done Kui.
    However I have a question for you. What is your perspective on Brain Drain? And Ghana being a third world country and all, do you think it is selfish of people who come to study abroad in the USA, for example, and end up staying as opposed to going back home to help out in any way possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I can speak impartially on the issue as despite my 'intentions' to return I am still very much a part of this situation. I think it is everyone's right to pursue their own advantage and ensure their future, especially if they think they can benefit from opportunities that are not available in their home country. While you can argue that the it is the duty of the individual not to forget 'his roots' and those left behind in the struggle we must also consider the provisions that his country has made to ease his reintegration. For instance, on a very basic level, I would venture to say that 95% of those who return to Ghana during vacations reside with their parents or a relative regardless of their age. And while you may argue this as a result of a desire to bond, in reality, there are very little options available for young individuals or those without a significant amount of capital. To rent out an apartment for even a short period of time is practically unheard of. While this may seem like a trivial example the availability of individuals to access resources that they have been accustomed to or greatly desire would deeply impact one's decision to return. So in that sense even a willing 'returnee' may have hesitations to do so if the proper infrastructure is there.

    ReplyDelete